Y.E. Hiatus, Uzilu Forums Described & Name Explanation

Come here for the latest updates about the site, announcements, and news of interest/related to topics covered on the site. This is also the only forum you can see without being registered. Due to recent spam attacks, accounts must be activated by admin before sign-in is enabled. Register to see the rest!

Y.E. Hiatus, Uzilu Forums Described & Name Explanation

Postby cat » December 8th, 2012, 1:56 am

Hello lovely new members!

As of just a few hours ago, the YourEatopia forums came to a tearful close (though only for hiatus, hopefully to reopen shortly). In her farewell-for-now video to the Y.E. community, Gwyn emotionally imparted some inspiring words for those suffering from restrictive eating disorders (cited sentiment of the ever-inspiring and SO beautiful Kimberley from YE):

There is no one, no one out there… not a lurker, not any of our community members, not our veterans who are five months in and halfway through and feeling really miserable, not our newbies… no one, none of you, deserves anything less than recovery. It does not matter if you think you're sick enough. It does not matter if you think you're thin enough or not. You deserve your life, and you deserve it in all of the ways that you envision it and that you dream about.

Over the course of recovery (the last 8 months for me), I have come upon more than just dysfunctional eating habits in others. I have come upon a whole plethora of self-criticism and other self-love issues, which seem to result in a constant on-edge mentality. Everyone is ready to attack. Everyone is ready to defend. We live in a war with both ourselves and those who stray from our norms.

In creating this forum, I wanted both to provide a place for YE members to go during hiatus, and to create a community and a set of forums where the focus is a bit more broad. Once the eating disorder is eradicated and shoved back into the tiny cage in the back of the psyche, other problems lurk to take over the obsession, dance around in your mind, and interfere with your life. The ED is still volatile, still looking for a place to leap back into action, and these struggles provide it with the perfect opportunity to raise it's ugly head again. Even those who are not on the REDS live in a state of constant dissatisfaction, as we live to please, and are never truly taught that our differences, even physiological ones, make us unique and beautiful. Like a dark, wet place ideal for bacteria, our society incubates both self-hatred and prejudice, creating a cycle of misunderstanding (and for ED-sufferers, relapse) that makes loving yourself and others extremely difficult.

As I said in a message to anonymous789, I saw a need for something to perpetuate the bigger movement (especially [surrounded by people] who are BEAUTIFUL but arbitrarily designated "overweight" by a society that thinks health is a math problem). I think as long as you are happy with yourself, and can love your self...no one has any business challenging that. And that goes for "obese" people just as much as it goes for homosexuals, minorities, people of obscure religions, etc.

I opened Uzilu to provide a place for people to realize their own beauty, to embrace who they are on both the outside and the inside, and to help us all understand each other as well. In fact, I was perusing through mybodygallery.com a few months ago, and read a post about a girl who is naturally extremely skinny. She eats like a horse and claims it seems physically impossible to gain weight (much like the boy who ate 6000 calories per day just to finally grow another inch). These things swing both ways. On her way to school, she is criticized, gawked at, and told to just "eat a hamburger", much like we in recovery are. I even remember judging my mother for her eating disorder at a very young age, until I fell into it myself. It's really difficult to understand until you have experienced it... and it's very easy to pass judgment. Uzilu is here to promote understanding, and I hope that it will grow to do just that, as well as provide the support that we all need continuing in recovery.

So where do I come in and what are my intentions? Hello! *waves* I am just an admin/moderator and an extremely active member. I don't want to be elevated or anything like that. ;D I just want to support and be supported, just like everyone else on the forums. My name is boldened in red because I do happen to be the person to contact if you have issues, complaints, etc. I'm going to try and get everyone as involved as possible with rules and forum decisions. The goal is to create a community. :) Once we get too large for me to moderate alone, I will enlist moderators to aid, and they will be chosen carefully and will work under an additional set of rules to prevent any kind of weird hierarchical conflicts from occurring.

Additionally, my intentions are not to replace YourEatopia. I do intend for the forums to last beyond Y.E.'s reopening, but the concept for Uzilu, while part of the same "anti-thinxiety" movement, is much more broad, and expands to include those with eating disorders, weight issues, identity issues, low self-esteem, depression, anxiety, the list goes on and on. I have yet to decide (and probably won't until Y.E.'s forums DO reopen and I am able to figure out what kind of activity remains here) if the forum lineup will change at all once YourEatopia is brought back.

So the name, "Uzilu". Where on earth did that come from? prttyinnpnk2 mentioned that she had some theories, and I'd still love to hear them, but I thought it would be best to go ahead and mention the inspiration for such a bizarro name. Since I was a teenager, I've had this concept that I had hoped to develop into a book series called Uzilu. Uzilu is a Utopian world of understanding and peace, set in the future with different species of humanoids who have discovered how to live without conflict while simultaneously enhancing their own happiness and feelings of belonging. I had all sorts of characters, storylines, concepts set up, and I *would* love to actually write those books someday, but Uzilu, the name of a compilation of planets (the main one 'Zilua') seemed absolutely appropriate for a support forum of understanding and self-love. Prtty now you must tell me what your theories were! Curiosity is killing me! (Ha, get it?)

Things to look for in the future:
:arrow: A mobile layout so that you can easily and efficiently access the forums from your smartphone or tablet.
:arrow: An "Eating Disorder Recovery in a Nutshell" sticky post in the Recovery Questions Forum
:arrow: A Rules and Regulations Post for the Forums Overall
cat
Site Admin

Re: Y.E. Hiatus, Uzilu Forums Described & Name Explanation

Postby Nala » December 8th, 2012, 11:02 am

You are a marvel cat! Thanks for the explanation, I like your utopian world and would very much like to move there thank you. Ummm ok so now I am going to expose the extent to which I am a weird-o.
Possible interpretations of UZILU:
1. UZILU- Unusual and Zealous Individuals Learning and Understanding -my brain works in strange ways

2. "UUUUUUUZZZZ I LAAH YOU" - andddddd there goes the last of my dignity
Nala

Postby cat » December 8th, 2012, 11:23 am

Hahahahahahahaha that's perfect! And thank you!

And also...I'm about to give you your dignity back. Haha,

1. I LOVE THAT AS AN ACRONYM. I had actually wondered if I should make it into an acronym, but the one that I got was far more bizarre...like, "Understanding the Z-Axis: Individuals Loving Unconditionally" Hehe.

2. That's where the end of the world's name "-ILU" did come from! Hahaha, so here...your dignity is gone? Take mine. XP

Wheeee thinking alike!

Cat
cat
Site Admin

Postby Nala » December 8th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Hahah thank you for repairing my self esteem. Errr I also had a 3rd possible option that I wasn't sure you wanted to know about because it does not come anywhere close to being as thoughtfully produced as you explained it truly is. Ehh whatever I have already gone off the deep end with this thread..

3. In a fit of rage you punched your keyboard.
Nala

Postby cat » December 8th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Hahahahaha I just got a good laugh from that one!!! I guess that would be possible! uziul was the closest I could get when just just tried out of curiosity...sooooooo very possible! Hahaha oh lawdy.

Cat
cat
Site Admin

Return to News, Announcements, and Updates