Rules and Regulations (Open Discussion)

Come here for the latest updates about the site, announcements, and news of interest/related to topics covered on the site. This is also the only forum you can see without being registered. Due to recent spam attacks, accounts must be activated by admin before sign-in is enabled. Register to see the rest!

Rules and Regulations (Open Discussion)

Postby cat » December 6th, 2012, 8:23 am

Hello there lovely people!

I wanted to post in an effort to encourage some open discussion about rules and regulations. I have a few in mind already, like (TW) in the titles for triggering items, and rules for moderators, but aside from that, how do you think we should handle things like blanket statements? Should we have a different set of specialized rules for each forum? Should the rules be posted above the forum or within a sticky?

I'd love to hear suggestions/thoughts/ideas on this! :)

Cat
cat
Site Admin

Re: Rules and Regulations (Open Discussion)

Postby Polgara » December 6th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Hey,

First of all - thanks for asking for our input! :) I think sticky threads is a good idea. In regards to different rules for different forums - well it might be worth having a separate mention about trigger warnings for the forums on anxiety/OCD and depression as the triggers can be different from ed-specific ones. I.e. perhaps ask people to put a TW for stuff like suicidal thoughts, self harm, obsessive-compulsive thoughts, psychosis, etc. I've been on a couple of mental health forums in the past and that seems to be a standard guideline (though not always adhered to of course), and speaking from my own point of view I would find it really useful (there are certain things I find it very, very difficult to read about if I'm already having a bad day, so it's helpful to be warned beforehand).

Hm, that's all I can think of for now (apart from the usual stuff like no abusive language etc).
Polgara

Re: Rules and Regulations (Open Discussion)

Postby cat » December 7th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Hypergraphica! I'm so sorry about the approval thing...in the backend I had set all permissions to "no", and manually changed "see forum, read forum, and reply to topic" plus a few others, and totally missed the "allow reply without approval" checkbox! Hehe. I've changed the settings so all can reply without issue.

I think that's an awesome idea! Stickies seemed to be the best option in my mind as well, it just occurred to me that people might not actually read them if they aren't blaring in red above the forum. I think it would be good to in the title of the sticky say, "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" or something along those lines...plus we have moderation and topic/post reporting, so if something isn't compliant we'll hopefully know fairly quickly. :)

Thank YOU for your input! It actually helps to know what the community is feeling. In fact, I'll probably post a draft of the rules for everyone to comment on once I've written them all out, just so everything is clear and 'approved' before they are posted. ;D

Cat
cat
Site Admin

Return to News, Announcements, and Updates